An interview reveals a lot about a candidate; it also shows candidates a little bit about the employer. Though we often focus on the job hunt – seeking, applying and seizing positions – the moments before signing with a company are all about reflection and evaluation. To confirm that a new job is suitable, assess the job offer by critically examining the following areas of a contract.
- Title. This is not a trivial detail. Titles bear roles and responsibilities, so yours should represent the position accurately: Ensure that you receive credit for the work expected of you.
- Schedule. What hours will you work and from where (i.e. commuting or telecommuting)?
- Salary. Understand your base rate as well as the payment schedule. Can you maintain or improve your current lifestyle with the offering? Some suggest moving jobs only if the salary sits 10-15% higher.
- Bonuses. Does the contract include any other factors that add value? This may include perks for out-of-office enjoyment (gym memberships, parking/travel reimbursement, day care, education and so on).
- Benefits. Consider both medical (health and dental) and financial (pension plans, retirement plans, insurance, severance packages and so on) in your job assessment. Do employees receive stock options? If so, what is the vesting schedule?
- Review. Businesses should conduct both performance and salary reviews for the sake of career advancement.
- Vacation. How many days do you get off a year? Inquire about sick days, personal days, maternity/paternity leave and other less common circumstances.
- Start. Do you have enough distance from the start date to transition smoothly into the new position?
- Culture. Not everything is about money and perks – you need to enjoy yourself too. For this reason, evaluate the company’s culture to ensure that you fit in and agree to its ideals.
About Us: FlexStaf-IT is a Canadian-based organization that connects qualified I.T. personnel with companies offering short- or long-term contract assignments, permanent placement positions, and fully managed end-to-end I.T. project solutions.